Did you find the page you were looking for?
Did you find the information useful?
Rate this page (1 star poor – 5 stars excellent).
*Required field.

If the visa in your passport says 'Police registration within seven days of arrival,' or it says on the back of your visa extension card 'Report extension to the police,' you must go to Digbeth police station within seven days to register. The requirement to register with the police can also appear on a letter from the Home Office, which will arrive separately and within a few days of receiving a letter to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP). To find out more information on BRP's, visit the government website.

The Immigration Regulation Act 1971 (Registration with the police) is a legal requirement made by the Home Office. Failure to register with the police is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution.

Necessary Documents

You will need to:

  • Bring a passport sized photograph
  • Make sure you have a valid passport and, where applicable, your biometric residence permits (BRP). Please ensure you bring all of your Home Office Letters – we may not be able to issue you a police registration certificate without the relevant Home Office Letter.
  • You will need to bring a proof of address, which can include a bank statement or a utility bill.  Police Registration Certificates cannot be issued without this, and we can only accept proof of addresses that are dated in the last three months. We do not accept tenancy agreements.
  • Book an appointment using the link below.
  • Pay £34 on a credit/debit card at your appointment. We will accept credit cards from any country with the exception of American Express and China Union Pay.

How can I book my appointment?

You can book your appointment by visiting this link. 

If there are no available appointments within seven days, please book the earliest available appointment.

Also, please do not visit Digbeth police station without an appointment as you will not be seen.

Frequently Asked questions

I am moving from the West Midlands to another force – what do I need to do?

You need to register with the police force that covers your new address within seven days of the move.

I am leaving the United Kingdom – what do I need to do?

If you are leaving the United Kingdom for less than three months you do not need to do anything.
If you are leaving for longer than this you legally have to notify the force that you have last registered with.  Please ensure that you provide your leaving date and travel details.

Do I need to keep my Police Registration Certificate if I return home?

Yes.  Your Police Registration Certificate remains valid forever and must be used should you return to the United Kingdom.